The Area Commander Program is responsible for those areas which directly influence the quality of life for the residents and businesses in Rialto. In addition to enforcing the laws of our society, the Police Department believes it is equally important to maintain and develop positive relationships with all members of the community. The Area Commander Program is one of many innovative examples of the Rialto Police Department's "Commitment to Community."
The Rialto Police Department’s Area Commander Program is working to provide a safe and secure environment for the community. The utilization of proactive community based policing concepts, problem solving principles, technology, and effective crime fighting strategies are just part of the programs overall plan.
The Rialto Police Department subscribes to the concepts of "evidence-based policing." "Evidence-based policing" is the use of the best available research on the outcomes of police work to implement guidelines and evaluate agencies, units, and officers. It suggests that just doing research is not enough and that proactive efforts are required to push accumulated research evidence into practice through national and community guidelines. These guidelines can then focus in-house evaluations on what works best across agencies, units, victims, and officers.
We also encourage you to use the technology related resources found on the Department's website to include; Coplogic (Online Reporting), OffenderWatch (Offender Tracking), CrimeMapping.com (Community Crime Stats), Nixle (Community Notification), and tip411 (Text Tips).
To receive emergency alerts and up to the minute weather warnings, please go to the CodeRed page and register now!
- Lieutenant Andy Karol is the Area Commander for Area #1
- Chris DeHesa is the Code Enforcement Officer for Area #1
- West of Lilac Avenue / North of Foothill Blvd
- Lieutenant Kathy Thompson is the Area Commander for Area #2
- Teresa Hodge is the Code Enforcement Officer for Area #2
- East of Lilac Avenue / North of Foothill Blvd
- Lieutenant William Wilson is the Area Commander for Area #3
- Helen Shepherd is the Code Enforcement Officer for Area #3
- West of Lilac Avenue / South of Foothill Blvd
- Lieutenant James Kurkoske is the Area Commander for Area #4
- Juan Virgen is the Code Enforcement Officer for Area #4
- East of Lilac Avenue / South of Foothill Blvd
Area Command Liaison Officer
The Area Command Liaison coordinates the meetings between the Lieutenants and the community leaders which are held quarterly. The Area Command Liaison serves as the primary contact point for community inquiries and provides information regarding Municipal Codes, Laws and Police involvement. The Liaison also provides a vital partnership with Code Enforcement that assists the Police Department with resources to solve community problems; with the goal to reduce the calls for service and improve the quality of life.
If you need more information please contact Area Command Liaison Officer Dave Hernandez at 909-820-2673 or email at
The Area Command Meetings are now set for January and February 2014! For more information go to the Events Calendar on the home page.